A MIND FOREVER VOYAGING THROUGH STRANGE SEAS OF THOUGHT, ALONE


This is my second blog.

My first blog chronicled my experiences over three years caring for my dad as he lived through and finally died from Alzheimer's. That is the book that is for sale.

This second blog kind of chronicles of life, what it is like to start your life over in your late 50's. After caretaking, you are damaged, file bankruptcy, and the world doesn't care what you did. After 8 months of unemployment, you wake each day knowing the world doesn't want you. Finally you do find a job, 5 weeks before homelessness, but doing what you did 30 years ago and getting paid what you did 30 years ago. So this is starting over.



The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Sunday, January 10, 2016

EXTINCTION 11.2

Would someone explain to me how I can be addictive to TV and not have a TV?  I mean, I'm all for the Zen thinking here, but I wish someone had not told me about Netflix a couple of weeks ago.  I think in the last two weeks I've watch every episode of Longmire, Cheers, Twighlight Zone, and a few others.  No TV and 8 hours a day I'm watching TV.  Shoot me.

 I have come to the conclusion that mankind is seriously doomed.

I make a living supporting certain products with a company that should remain nameless on this blog.  I don't often blog about work, well, maybe a little, but I don't bad mouth the company I work for because frankly, I like the company I work for.

I talk to people all over the country and the one north of us.  And I have come to the conclusion that the extinction of humanity is on the horizon.

I have lost count, not that I was ever actually keeping count - that would be neurotic - of the number of times I hear parents needing to take a, shall we say, electronic product, away for a few moments in order to work on the, electronic product, and the kids will scream, cry, refuse to give it up or if it's given up you spend the next 20 minutes working on some issue with the equivalent of "ARE WE THERE YET" constantly being yelled in the background at some high pitch squeal.

What is even worse is listening to some neutered man say something like, 'well, can I use my phone' and I'm thinking "NO, GROUND THE LITTLE BASTARD AND TAKE THE ELECTRONIC DEVICE AWAY FROM HIM AND MAKE HIM GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY"

Look, I love technology, but I also know how to turn it off.  When I go out in the car somewhere, the phone is set to not get a cell signal or wifi signal - okay, listening to tunes sometimes, but with only one earbud inserted.

But what we are seeing in society, let's start with kids that cannot exist without being 'plugged into' their devices, can't go 1 minute without reading what others are posting/texting/facebooking, can't go a minute without posting to the world what they are doing.  They stare at the screen every waking moment.

Children, teens, and adults.  Go out to eat sometime and just kick back and watch the room.  People sitting at tables, not talking anymore, just alone in their plugged in world.

In spite of the possibility that all these people will walk in front of a car, off a cliff, or just die from not moving for a week before they can reproduce, it's the future that should seriously worry us.

Last night on C2C, the guest was talking about how some tech companies are investing in technologies for the future that we don't carry, we don't wear, but get implanted in our bodies whether we want them or not.

But who's going to be around to say no?  That little kid who won't give up his device?  You kidding me?  They will be first in line when they are 20 to sign up.

Imagine you are given this, a mental implant that will provide you unlimited access to all the knowledge in the world, being able to instantly access any book, article, web page on earth.  Got a test in calc, no worries, you got the text book in your head.  How do you get a job without this capability when other applicants have it?

Think how wonderful that would be, wait, of course it would be wonderful because the chip in your head will tell you it's wonderful.  When they start chipping our heads, beaming signals, your individuality is lost forever, a slave, a drone, and you will never know it.

Turning off computer now, unplugging the wifi, and reading a book, printed on paper.

I'm numb as a statue
I may have to beg, borrow or steal
Some feelings from you
So I can have some feelings too

I'm pale as a ghost
You know what I love about you
That's what I need the most
I'm gonna beg, borrow or steal
Some feelings from you
I'm gonna beg, borrow or steal
So I can have some feelings too

I don't care if it's superficial
You don't have to dig down deep
Just bring enough for the ritual
Get here before I fall asleep

Ain't nothing special
When the present meets the past
I've always taken care of business
I've paid my first and last

Warren Zevon

No comments:

Post a Comment