A MIND FOREVER VOYAGING THROUGH STRANGE SEAS OF THOUGHT, ALONE


This is my second blog.

My first blog chronicled my experiences over three years caring for my dad as he lived through and finally died from Alzheimer's. That is the book that is for sale.

This second blog kind of chronicles of life, what it is like to start your life over in your late 50's. After caretaking, you are damaged, file bankruptcy, and the world doesn't care what you did. After 8 months of unemployment, you wake each day knowing the world doesn't want you. Finally you do find a job, 5 weeks before homelessness, but doing what you did 30 years ago and getting paid what you did 30 years ago. So this is starting over.



The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Saturday, October 31, 2015

YOUR OWN GRACE PARK?

Neat, laptop is working, battery won't charge any longer, but now seems to be up and running  as long as I keep it plugged in.  So, away we go on what's been on my mind.

I've been rewatching Battlestar Galactica recently.  It's a pretty good show, until season three and early four when it turns into a soap opera like All My Cylons or One Battlestar to Live, then at the end it picks up and has a pretty cool ending.

But the point of the deep philosophical question is, when is a human a machine? In the series, the cylons look human and several humans have relationships with them.  Hey, if I met a cylon looking like Grace Park, I'd certainly be willing.

But it does bring up a question in our buddying future of when a human becomes a machine.  Did the first peg leg or hook cause pastors in the pulpit to warn of transhumanism?  Does the possibility of bionic legs mean soldiers from these wars should not take advantage of them?

What else we see is the manipulation of genes, it's easy in a philosophical debate to think it's evil, but when your little child has a disease that will kill them, and doctors tell you this little gene manipulation thing will save the life of your child, can you say no?

So the question is when is a human a toaster?  Oh, wait, sensitivity training.  If rumors are true that the military is experimenting making super soldiers, will levels of strength and other attributes, do we view them as humans or machines?

In the show, the difference is when cylons die, their body dies but their 'memories' are uploaded into new identical bodies; but they live, breath, eat, bleed, etc.  Can't tell a human from a cylon in the lab or medical table.

So what is human?  Today we have people walking around with artificial hearts, pig livers, artificial knees, hips, elbows shoulders, vertibrate, skull, etc.  Can a skeletal structure be completely artificial and a person be human?  How many organs from other creatures can a human possess before they aren't human?

Can you combine DNA from a lion and a man and still be a man?

They say by 2050 robots will be nearly human, will they have rights?  All these questions have been asked many times in science fiction, but never really answered in life.  What makes 'life'?  Many years ago, the soul was the deciding factor, but most of the world doesn't believe in the soul anymore, so that argument will just get you in politically correct court.

Would correcting your DNA allowing you to live longer be a bad thing?  I think so, I mean, if someone came up and said drink this and you can live 500 years, my first thought would be, you mean I have to work another 450 some years?  No thanks.  And how would society deal with people living to 500?  Imagine the population demographics - you think SS and MED are in trouble now?

Point of all of this is we race forward with technology, never asking should we, figuring if we don't, someone else will, so we end up with asking afterwards if we should have done this.

Think of the cell phone.  When they first came out, most of us thought what a great idea, you break down in car and can call for help, you can call your teenager to find out where they are, that sort of thing.  But what we soon found was when you leave the office, you don't really leave the office, you now are available 24 hours a day.  Add texting and email and you have millions every night who wake up in the middle of the night and check email, texts, etc.

And what of implants?  Technically, 666'ers, you have to worship the beast when you get the implant or tattoo, so as long as you don't worship the beast, are the implants bad?  They certainly could be when Google is figuring out how to control our thoughts and behaviors - apply electrical energy to certain parts of the brain to reduce belief in God or support unlimited immigration.

When we start manipulating humanity, when we start creating robots with real human skin, when we create a version of human superior to 'normal', what do you suppose is going to happen?

And what happens when human companionship can be purchased in a humanoid machine, totally lifelike and does everything humans do but is programed not to argue with you, will humans even interact with each other?

My own Grace Park.


I've got a secret, I've been hiding under my skin
My heart is human, my blood is boiling
My brain I.B.M., so if you see me
Acting strangely, don't be surprised

I'm just a man who needed someone
And somewhere to hide
To keep me alive, just keep me alive
Somewhere to hide to keep me alive

I'm not a robot without emotions
I'm not what you see
I've come to help you
With your problems, so we can be free
I'm not a hero, I'm not a saviour
Forget what you know

I'm just a man whose circumstances
Went beyond his control
Beyond my control, we all need control
I need control, we all need control

I am the modren man
(Secret, secret I've got a secret)
Who hides behind a mask
(Secret, secret, I've got a secret)
So no one else can see
(Secret, secret, I've got a secret)
My true identity

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto
Domo, Domo
Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto




No comments:

Post a Comment