A MIND FOREVER VOYAGING THROUGH STRANGE SEAS OF THOUGHT, ALONE


This is my second blog.

My first blog chronicled my experiences over three years caring for my dad as he lived through and finally died from Alzheimer's. That is the book that is for sale.

This second blog kind of chronicles of life, what it is like to start your life over in your late 50's. After caretaking, you are damaged, file bankruptcy, and the world doesn't care what you did. After 8 months of unemployment, you wake each day knowing the world doesn't want you. Finally you do find a job, 5 weeks before homelessness, but doing what you did 30 years ago and getting paid what you did 30 years ago. So this is starting over.



The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Monday, April 6, 2015

IN THE VACUUM OF TECHNOLOGY, NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM

I am really becoming fascinated with our move towards brain dead and letting computers do all of our thinking for us - and the total apathy everyone has towards this direction.

I'd like to sign up for 1/2 hour of OT each day, except the computer system will automatically schedule me for 1/2  Lunch which I am suppose to take.  I never do, I work it and now I'm in  a little hot water because my Schedule Adherence is dropping below 70% for skipping those lunches.

So I talked to the powers that be and tried to ask "why would I sign up for 30 minutes of overtime each day if it just means I have to take a 30 minute unpaid lunch"?  I thought it was a reasonable question.  But our computer system will automatically make it a 30 minute lunch because of HR rules.  Their solution was to sign up for an hour of overtime in order to get the 30 minutes of overtime.  But I pointed out the 30 minute lunch is not always at the same time so I would come back to work for 30 or 60 minutes, then get a lunch and that doesn't really fit a lifestyle.

So basically, the computer program has scuttled my enthusiasm for overtime.

Had a physical today and have another new doctor, I seem to be going thru doctors out here like Bob Wylie.  My first doc was great, then she left town.  My next doc was my dad's doc and we didn't get along when dealing with me, see the book for the funny stories, and when I called to schedule the physical I was told she was leaving to be with the kids full time, I wonder if that is true?

But the new doc asked tons and tons of questions which I almost answered all honestly.  The whole interview started with asking if I was depressed in using a number of words which I found strange, but all the answers are typed into a computer program which calculates potential problems and recommends potential tests based upon the answers and I'm like "oh no".

Why don't people understand this?  COMPUTERS CANNOT THINK.  They can only calculate.  And they can only calculate what the programming tells them to calculate.  And the programs are written by programmers.

So, when a computer is doing the 'thinking' for humans beings, what it is really doing is simply coming to a predetermined conclusion based on the programming.  The results are predetermined before you ever start.  There is no thinking, there is only classifications, stratifications, putting you in a particular box based upon what is inputted as your answer.

That is also important, since she mentioned two things during the appointment that were in the record that were not true.  I did not have a brother that had Alzheimer's, for example.  I don't even have a brother - but now I do because this computer was talking to other computers so right now databases all around the world say I have a brother.

And no, the doctor did not get the opportunity to stick her finger up my butt in case you were wondering.  I told her if I ever get a rising PSA and a repeated on a second test with the same result, then she can stick a finger up my butt, but not before then.  She didn't seem too disappointed.  She did give me a take home poop tester which I threw in the garbage, I'm not changing my diet for a week just to take that test.  I like my raw veggies, my raw almonds, walnuts, and cashews, and weekly steak and I'm not giving them up.

Funny how a blog on computers turns into a conversation on my butt hole.

But now we move forward with a society content to let computers think for them, never realizing computers can't think, and are basically allowing a machine to predetermine and classify them in a way no person would let another person do for them.  Are we really ready to start taking orders from machines.

And here comes the Apple Watch.  It will tell you when you've been sitting too long and to stand up, it will tell you with just a little nudge on your wrist when to turn right or when to turn left.  It will monitor your heart and other health issue and forward it to your doctors computer system.  An article today pointed out that apps are being written so that your employer can provide you an apple watch and they will be able to monitor your movements not only at work but at home.  The ability to monitor your movements throughout the day is a Fredrick Taylor wet dream.  You will receive training to make yourself more effective at your job, eliminate wasted motions, eliminate wasted movements.  You will be fired by a computer program for failing to move in accordance with the plan.  We are the Borg.

Don't get me wrong, lots of cool things about the Apple Watch, it really is slick.  But if your employer gives you one and tells you that you have to wear it, my advice is take it off and get that resume updated and start sending it out quickly.

Our votes are now calculated on a computer and I'm not really sure whether we've had a real election for 10 years now or just a predetermined outcome.  I cannot get over the area of Philly and another area in Ohio that had 19,000 votes for Obama and zero for anyone else as being anything but a computer program assuring an outcome.  We can't do anything, go anywhere, without a computer program telling us what we can and what we cannot do.  Now we have cars and planes coming that have no pilots.

Kind of makes me wonder about all these airline crashes that are caused by a pilot, always Islamic pilots by the way, who crash the planes, what is it now, five of them?  Won't it be so much safer to let an atheist computer control the plane?

And by the way, all of these 'too much sitting is as bad as cigarette smoking' stories, what exactly is all of this leading too?  Some purpose?  And how does this effect bicycling?  If you ride a recumbent bicycle for 8 hours a day back and forth across america, will you be in better health after a 6 month trip of sitting on a bike 8 hours a day seven days a week or will you have to stop the bike every hour when your doctors computer system notifies your watch to tell you to stand up?

Computer Eyes--it hurts to tell you I don't really want you
But I know if I leave you, it won't really grieve you
'Cause y'really don't have a soul to haunt you

Computer Eyes--you made me happy for a while but now I'm going
The coldness that you show me tells me you don't know me
And that leaves our love so little room for growing

Don't want to program making love
I like it real and with feeling
And every time y'say you love or you're thinking of me
It's like I kind of get the feeling that I'm stealing

Computer Eyes--I must have been crazy to ever try you
Y'see, I'm just a human being, and I don't like what I'm seeing
So you're gonna have to find another computer eyes to lie to

Computer Eyes--you're gonna have to learn to cry


Carole King