A MIND FOREVER VOYAGING THROUGH STRANGE SEAS OF THOUGHT, ALONE


This is my second blog.

My first blog chronicled my experiences over three years caring for my dad as he lived through and finally died from Alzheimer's. That is the book that is for sale.

This second blog kind of chronicles of life, what it is like to start your life over in your late 50's. After caretaking, you are damaged, file bankruptcy, and the world doesn't care what you did. After 8 months of unemployment, you wake each day knowing the world doesn't want you. Finally you do find a job, 5 weeks before homelessness, but doing what you did 30 years ago and getting paid what you did 30 years ago. So this is starting over.



The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Thursday, March 26, 2015

THE SADNESS OF STUPIDITY AND YOUTH

Have mixed emotions on this, can't forget their are some parents seriously grieving the loss of their son.

This story is getting a little familiar in Colorado.  People use to come here for the skiing and the hiking, now they come here to get high.  So some lad after graduating college, apparently got a two week ski vacation.

Funny, when I graduated I had to find a job, bartending be that it may.

So young lad in Vail, not the cheapest place to spend a couple of weeks, takes a little day trip to a local town and buys some pot to smoke and some pot candy.  Pot candy is very popular, for some reason, suck on a Rocky Mountain High Tart and in about an hour you are flying in your living room - so I'm told.

Herein lies the problem, it takes an hour for the buzz to hit.  So visiting scholars like this kid gets impatient, doesn't read the label, and starts popping these things like we eat chips or Skittles or something.

And a few hours later, the young lad is rather incoherent, or as a friend suggested 'possessed' and what do the friends and family do?  They leave him at home by himself while they go out.

And the 23 year old ends up getting his handgun and shooting himself.

So now the grieving parents are blaming Colorado for their son's death, blaming the pot candy, wanting it banned.

Why is a 23 year old carrying a handgun for safety when he travels?  I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not against carrying a handgun for protection but I would have never of had one at 23 when I was stoned and drinking and otherwise an immature stupid 23 year old - which pretty much encapsulates all 23 year olds.

We do stupid stupid things when we are young and it's only by the grace of God we survive all the stupid things we did, but then that sentence always bothers me because it implies God wanted us to live and this young lad to die.

It's not Colorado's fault, it's not the candies fault, it's the fault of a young lad who ate 5 pieces of the candy when apparently the labels warn you not to take 5 pieces of the candy.  It's the fault of the family for leaving him alone, especially of the friend who knew he took so much of the candy and apparently didn't warn the family, the fault of not getting him to a hospital and for letting an immature young lad overdosing on pot to have a handgun with him.

I haven't tried the legal stuff in Colorado because I am a handgun owner.  Owning a gun means we have a responsibility not to get wasted where our judgement is impaired, and while I'm sure I could catch a buzz without shooting myself or others, why risk it?

Young and stupid.  They go together like peaches and cream, Heckle and Jeckle, Frick and Frack - can't be one without the other.

I have to say my friends
This road goes a long, long way
And if we're going to find the end
We're gonna need a helping hand

I have to say my friends
We're looking for a light ahead
In the distance a candle burns
Salvation keeps the hungry children fed

It's gotta take a lot of salvation
What we need are willing hands
You must feel the sweat in your eyes
You must understand salvation

A chance to put the devil down
Without the fear of hell
Salvation spreads the gospel round
And free you from yourself



Elton John


No comments:

Post a Comment