A MIND FOREVER VOYAGING THROUGH STRANGE SEAS OF THOUGHT, ALONE


This is my second blog.

My first blog chronicled my experiences over three years caring for my dad as he lived through and finally died from Alzheimer's. That is the book that is for sale.

This second blog kind of chronicles of life, what it is like to start your life over in your late 50's. After caretaking, you are damaged, file bankruptcy, and the world doesn't care what you did. After 8 months of unemployment, you wake each day knowing the world doesn't want you. Finally you do find a job, 5 weeks before homelessness, but doing what you did 30 years ago and getting paid what you did 30 years ago. So this is starting over.



The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Sunday, February 22, 2015

OSCAR NIGHT!!!

But, I'm not watching.

I've found a new hobby on Sundays, when I should be studying Hebrew and am not, but it's picking topics of off the wall stuff and searching YouTube and spending the day watching them.  Saw a really interesting thing about the model of our solar system being wrong, the earth is at the center a couple of weeks ago - not sure I buy it, but it was interesting.

Today I am finding old Prophecy Conference lectures and kind of enjoying them.  Guy named Woodward was talking about Nazi's after WWII and how Russia, Britain, and the US swept all those scientists out of Germany - also interesting was how Germany had deals with General Motors and Ford for synthetic fuels and trucks that one general said after the war without they never could have invaded Austria, let alone Poland, France, etc.

Now I remember why I never buy an American car.

Back in those early days of our modern life, I use to love going to the video store on Saturdays and I'd always look for one or two really bizarre movies to watch on Sundays.  Which led me to the topic of todays blog: My Favorite Movies.  Now this is not something I normally will do, or ever did, but it's my blog and that is what my imaginary readers are screaming for.  But unlike most Top 10 or Top 100, I'm going with my own classifications.

REALLY WEIRD MOVIES YOU HAVE TO WATCH THE END TWICE:
1.  The Quiet Earth - I love this movie.  End of the world, guy knows it's coming when they turn on the 'space grid' at midnight so he commits suicide exactly at midnight and wakes up the only person on the planet.  Then, after months, finds a woman who also committed suicide at midnight.  Adam and Eve, cept there will be a twist and a solution.
2.  Brazil - not really sure what exactly it is about, but I watch it every couple of years
3.  A Boy and His Dog - a young Don Johnson, an apocalyptic world where man can talk to dogs.

GREAT 1970's ANTI HERO MOVIES
First of all, let's define an anti hero, which has been sabotaged by the modern bad boy.  The anti hero is just an every day joe who is not bad, just finds in situations he must deal with and in winning, doesn't really win.
1.  Shampoo - really, it's not about sex, trust me.
2.  Three Days of the Condor
3.  Lifeguard
4.  Dirty Harry
5.  Billy Jack - yea, tell me they are bad but I still like 'em
6.  Chinatown
7.  Marathon Man (dare you to watch this the night before you go to the dentist)
8.  Dear Hunter - maybe the best of the vietnam war films
9.  Coming Home - different type of anti war film, but never forget the Bruce Dern walking into the ocean scene
10. The Parallax View

GREAT OLD TIME FLICKS
1.  The Philadelphia Story - funny and quick dialog
2.  The Thin Man Series
3.  Notorious - one of my favs - the Grant and Bergman, not the rapper
4.  Casablanca
5.  Harvey
6.  Talk of the Town - very unknown but excellent film
7.  The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance one of the best westerns ever made
8.  Hombre - the other great western ever made

MOST OVERRATED FLICKS
1.  Citizen Kane - gawd is it boring
2.  Apocalypse Now -  Joseph Conrads Heart of Darkness with bullets and bombs, still boring
3.  Wizard of Oz - just listen to Dark Side of the Moon without the visuals and thinking wow, dude.
4.  Can I get away with just about anything nominated for best picture the last 20 years?

FLICKS I CAN WATCH OVER AND OVER AND NEVER GET TIRED OF WATCHING
1.. What About Bob - just makes me laugh every time I see it, from beginning to end
2.  Real Genius - some of the best one liners in movie history
3.  Independence Day - may be the greatest movie of all time, hear me out.  They must have sat down with shrinks and got a list of every possible button you could push in a person and then built a movie around it.  You name it, it's in this movie.
4.  High Noon - how to be a man.
5.  Strange Brew
6. Blazing Saddles - watch it with young people and watch them totally freak out with culture shock.  Have smelling salts ready for them when they pass out.  It's a scream.
7.  Semi Tough - funny thing is, BEAT is really EST and nothing is faked, it was really like that

MOVIES NOT MENTIONED BUT SHOULD HAVE BEEN SOMEWHERE
1.  Sabotaur one of Hitchcocks lesser known films
2.  Rocky I, II, III, IV
3.  The Betsy - Olivier, Jane Alexander, Robert Duvall, Kathrine Ross, Leslie Ann Down and a young Tommy Lee Jones trying to keep up with that talent - you've seen 2x4's less stiff.
4.  Any Marx Brothers movie.

Okay, so those are my Oscars

Everybody's a dreamer and everybody's a star,
And everybody's in movies, it doesn't matter who you are.
There are stars in every city,
In every house and on every street,
And if you walk down Hollywood Boulevard
Their names are written in concrete!

Don't step on Greta Garbo as you walk down the Boulevard,
She looks so weak and fragile that's why she tried to be so hard
But they turned her into a princess
And they sat her on a throne,
But she turned her back on stardom,
Because she wanted to be alone.


Kinks


No comments:

Post a Comment