A MIND FOREVER VOYAGING THROUGH STRANGE SEAS OF THOUGHT, ALONE


This is my second blog.

My first blog chronicled my experiences over three years caring for my dad as he lived through and finally died from Alzheimer's. That is the book that is for sale.

This second blog kind of chronicles of life, what it is like to start your life over in your late 50's. After caretaking, you are damaged, file bankruptcy, and the world doesn't care what you did. After 8 months of unemployment, you wake each day knowing the world doesn't want you. Finally you do find a job, 5 weeks before homelessness, but doing what you did 30 years ago and getting paid what you did 30 years ago. So this is starting over.



The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Saturday, November 15, 2014

RETIRING THE OLD BOOTS

Well, the first snow of a few inches hit this week along with the cold.  I mean, it is Colorado, but when temps have been steady 60's for three months and in 24 hours sees dips into single digits and below zero, it is painful; no build up of tolerance to the cold.

What was depressing were my boots.  I bought them around 1998, great pair of hiking boots, do well in winter, and been wearing them ever since.  Picked them up this week and noticed the sole of one dropped off.  So been walking around in zero and 3 inches of snow in running shoes, freezing my feet and trying to bribe the dog with a dollar if he poops quick.  So far, hasn't cost me a buck.

But I'll miss those old boots, they were kind of famous.  The are the same make and model of boot that the guy who might have killed the Ramsey girl wore.  I remember coming out on vacation to Winter Park the January or February after she was killed in December, and reading in the paper that the cops found tracks in the snow and they were the exact same shoe I was wearing around Winter Park leaving tracks.  I was so hoping to be "a person of interest" while on vacation.  On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't have said anything, all witnesses to me being home at Xmas that day are either dead or don't talk to me anymore, might not be so much fun now.

I guess it would be kind of like having a pair of those loafers OJ had on the night he didn't kill his wife and her boyfriend.  Another one of those mysteries of life.

Speaking of which, why do I have such a hard time keeping the back side of my pants up?  When did my ass disappear, I feel fully qualified to be a plumber now because every time I bend over to pick something up I have to hitch up the back of my pants when I stand.  When did that happen?  I mean I still wear regular fit blue jeans, but jeepers.  Plus to add to the misery, I think I pinched a nerve or something in my neck, every time I bend over I get a dullish pain all over the left side of my neck and head.  I can't do pushups anymore because of it, yet do pullups, dips, clean and press the kettle bell with no pain.  Weird.

I try not to talk to much about work here, where I work, though most regular readers probably figured it out.  But sometimes things happen.  Had a call today, names and places changed to protect the innocent- well me, and a guy in Idaho needed to get his device replaced but the device was inactive in our system and it took a good hour to figure out the reason it was inactive was some person in a store in Virginia had replaced some girls phone and made a typo on the serial number and now this guy can't get his device fixed because we said he didn't have it anymore.

Fortunately, and unlike many places, we can fix these things pretty quick if we can figure out what happened and I was able to do so, consequently it was fairly easy to fix for those who do such fixes.

But it's the second time in two days.

One stroke of a key and a mistake gets sucked up into a computer system, shared with other systems, and soon it will be around the globe in databases.

You see this all the time.  Someone types the wrong letter, the wrong number, and suddenly you are dead in the Social Security system; someone keys a 7 instead of a 9 and you can spend 5 years fighting the IRS.  And I'm sure a few people have found themselves on the wrong end of the law because of a mistake.

That  is the problem with technology.  It allows up to calculate, write, communicate at the speed of light; and transmit our mistakes, compounding them, 1/2 a second to make the mistake, years to clear up  the mistake.  Time, energy, money, blood, sweat and tears for the victim and the person that makes the typo never suffers, never knows, never understands their carelessness caused so much pain and misery.

Stopped at the store today and something I wanted wasn't on the shelf and the girl scanned the bar code and said they had 4 of them in the back, how many did I want?  Then she came back and said there were none.  Computer shows four, reality shows zero.  Trust Uni.

If the world took one month with no sales and actually counted everything they really had, people would rarely find where the computer matched reality, but we've chosen to ignore reality and trust technology.  It's just easier.  So what if it's all wrong, as long as we all play on the wrong data, what difference does it make?  Accept the illusion and everything will be just fine.

Welcome to the grand illusion
Come on in and see what's happening
Pay the price, get your tickets for the show
The stage is set, the band starts playing
Suddenly your heart is pounding
You're wishing secretly you were a star