A MIND FOREVER VOYAGING THROUGH STRANGE SEAS OF THOUGHT, ALONE


This is my second blog.

My first blog chronicled my experiences over three years caring for my dad as he lived through and finally died from Alzheimer's. That is the book that is for sale.

This second blog kind of chronicles of life, what it is like to start your life over in your late 50's. After caretaking, you are damaged, file bankruptcy, and the world doesn't care what you did. After 8 months of unemployment, you wake each day knowing the world doesn't want you. Finally you do find a job, 5 weeks before homelessness, but doing what you did 30 years ago and getting paid what you did 30 years ago. So this is starting over.



The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

THE AMBIGUITY OF C.S. LEWIS

Ask any Christian what they think of CS Lewis and you get a variety of answers.  Some will swear he supports evolution, others swear he supports multiple ways to God, some say he is a closet catholic and some catholics hate him.

Trouble is, many have opinions, few have read him.

I've listened  thru God in the Dock and Miracles, now reading them and highlighting.  Lewis is a fascinating read, I think I know why I like him though.  Similar to him, I also realized the problems with evolution long before I was a Christian.  And several articles in God in the Dock and chapters of miracles does a much better job explaining things about science and scientism in ways I wish I had said.

Which I guess makes me an illiterate CS Lewis, which, all in all, is not a bad thing to be as things go.

But there was a section that made me go 'WHAT" and listening to several times, go back and listen to the whole article, then pick it up in the book and read it and that is when it comes to other religions.  I can see where superficially others might make claims about him believing in other religions, but you have to read it to get what he is saying.

Small side note: Why, in my 50's, have I so fallen in love with Jackson Browne's music?  For Everyman might actually be my favorite album now, and 10 years ago JB wouldn't have shown up in a top 25 list.

Back to Lewis.  What I finally figured out Lewis was talking about is this:  The ancient religions have religious practices adopted by the Jews and later the Christians because they got a small part of it, a small picture, bits and pieces right and those traveled thru time to Judaism and into the New Testament. Trouble is, the Hebrew's missed the conclusion of what the whole OT was about; the slow unfolding of the Glory of God realized in one Man.  It's not that Christianity copied from pagan religious practices and stories at all, it's that those pagan religions were knocking on the door but didn't come close to grasping the truth God gave the Jews.

Take several stories of miracles performed by Jesus.  The water into wine.  God has been doing that for thousands of years.  God created the water, the roots of the plant that suck up the water and produce the fruit which produces the wine.  The miracle of God, Jesus only did, what God the father does yearly, turns the water into wine.

I read that and my mind raced for hours last night.  That each miracle Jesus performed was a small scale version of the Creation of the Father.  Not a metaphor or simile exactly, but an HO Gage version.  The seeds from one plant that create a field that feeds hundreds and the loaf of bread that feeds thousands.

Of course, Lewis isn't right on everything, neither am I, and I cannot tell you where either of us is wrong, that is one of the answers we get on judgement day.  But in spite of his errors, just think of the millions Lewis has led to Christ, I don't know for sure if I ever led anyone there.

Most people, if they've ever read Lewis, have read Screwtape and Mere Christianity.  You really need to read Miracles and God in the Dock, which is a collection of articles, speeches or papers he wrote.  Not so much into his fiction or science fiction stuff, I'm not good at reading or catching allegory so it usually flies over my head, but others swear by his 3 science fiction books.  The Magicians Twin does a good job explaining much of those stories if you are dumb like me and don't get allegory very often.

It's nice to be writing everyday.  I've missed this.

Awake to understand
You are not dreaming
It is not seaming
Just to be this way

Dying men draw numbers in the air
Dream to conquer little bits of time
Scuffle with the crowd to get their share
And fall behind their little bits of time

Voices in the air
Sympathetic harmony
Coming from the trees

Hanging at my door
Many shiny surfaces
Clinging in the breeze

Oh, leave me where I am
I am not losing
If I am choosing
Not to plan my life



Jackson Browne