A MIND FOREVER VOYAGING THROUGH STRANGE SEAS OF THOUGHT, ALONE


This is my second blog.

My first blog chronicled my experiences over three years caring for my dad as he lived through and finally died from Alzheimer's. That is the book that is for sale.

This second blog kind of chronicles of life, what it is like to start your life over in your late 50's. After caretaking, you are damaged, file bankruptcy, and the world doesn't care what you did. After 8 months of unemployment, you wake each day knowing the world doesn't want you. Finally you do find a job, 5 weeks before homelessness, but doing what you did 30 years ago and getting paid what you did 30 years ago. So this is starting over.



The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Saturday, March 29, 2014

TAX ME PLEASE

When I started my new job, I had to get a landline copper wired phone; apparently for some reason they couldn't use voice over IP so off went vonage and in came Century Link.  The cost of the phone would be 17 bucks a month, no long distance, but it's all I need for the job.

So imagine my surprise when the 17 dollar service actually costs 29 bucks a month.  Why?  Did I get ripped off in some sort of scam?  No, there are 12 dollars in taxes and fees on a 17 dollar bill.  That is a 41% tax.  And for what?  Well, we have $7.43 for federal access charges and access recovery charges, what ever those mean.  And there are 5.29 in taxes fees and surcharges like federal state county city colorado universal federal universal the colorado telecommunication relay service fund and the city occupation tax.

I didn't use commas because I was afraid they would be taxed too.

So I got curious and looked at my cable internet bill and my cell phone bill and found out when I combine the three bills I'm paying nearly 50 bucks a month in taxes, fees, and surcharges.  That would buy two weeks of Amy's or evol frozen organic GMO free lunches for me.  Smf or And if my fingers were resting properly on the keyboard, now that I'm getting a paycheck for the first time since 2009, it's amazing how much those FICA taxes hurt.  When you are making 90k a year, you don't care.  When you are making about 40% of that, it's a weeks worth of groceries.

Kinda pisses a guy off, don't you know.  But like 100 million others, I'll just take it up the wazoo.  And that is the problem with this country, we just keep taking it up the wazoo.

We send people to DC and our state capitals who just keep adding tax burdens to us in the guise of fees and surcharges on all our bills.  We've seen the monthly cost of health insurance nearly triple in less than 10 years, we've seen higher education costs go up 8 fold since 2000, creating an entire slave class of educational loans drones who graduate with 100k in debt while working at the only minimum wage jobs left at Starbucks.

The good news is our fearless leader is doing everything possible to pick a fight with Russia and making a bastard of a megalomaniac like Putin look like a good guy.  Think of it like this, lets' say the US broke up and became 5 independent countries and Russia decided to put in nukes in TX and Michigan, would the rest of the US be just a little bit uneasy?  Well, how do you think Moscow feels with NATO in Poland and the Ukraine?

So history is about to repeat, nothing fixes bad economies like a good world war, unless you are the loser, though even that may not be true.  All debt will be gone, the population will be thinned out by 100 million people, jobs will be available to rebuild in the non radioactive areas left in the country, and so it goes through history of men playing God while citizens complain over taxes, fees, and surcharges.

=========

Well, passed the last two exams and I've got to say having to take multiple choice tricky questions with ambiguous wording is getting kind of old.  Should people over 50 get some sort of AARP grading curve or something?  It's a lot of pressure to know if you flunk the test you will be living in the car come April 1st.

And after haggling and playing numbers, I renewed my lease in spite of the 30 buck a month increase.  I figured out that when adding up all the costs of moving, new deposits, cleaning old place, truck rental etc that I needed to get an apartment no more the $848 a month and there are no apartments in FC/Loveland with one bedroom for that price.  Plus that extra check twice a year on the two week pay plan would all go to deposits and I need to get the brakes on the car fixed and put some away for savings or for an attorney for bankruptcy.  So I stay, at least that isn't bouncing against the wall of my brain.

By the way, never say woody in a chat room at work, it gets you a visit to the woodshed.  Even when it wasn't blatantly referring to anything but a replacement for excited about something.

I wonder when the day will come when internet usage will be taxed, fee'd and surcharged up the wazoo, to where every letter typed will be taxed.  Somewhere in DC, those elected officials doing all their insider trading are designing such a plan, count on it.

I Don't Know How I Lost The Secret I Was Holding.
Like Far Beneath The Flood, It Has Been Crushed And Broken.
So I'm Going To Find The Way, To Become What I Am.
I'm Going To Find The Way, Back Home.
I'm Going To Find The Way, To Become What I Am.
I'm Going To Find The Way, Back Home.

I Don't Know What went Wrong, I Just Can't Find The Reason.
I Thought The Game Was Won, But Facts Can Be Deceiving.
So I'm Going To Find The Way, To Become What I Am.
I'm Going To Find The Way, Back Home.

Atomic Rooster