A MIND FOREVER VOYAGING THROUGH STRANGE SEAS OF THOUGHT, ALONE


This is my second blog.

My first blog chronicled my experiences over three years caring for my dad as he lived through and finally died from Alzheimer's. That is the book that is for sale.

This second blog kind of chronicles of life, what it is like to start your life over in your late 50's. After caretaking, you are damaged, file bankruptcy, and the world doesn't care what you did. After 8 months of unemployment, you wake each day knowing the world doesn't want you. Finally you do find a job, 5 weeks before homelessness, but doing what you did 30 years ago and getting paid what you did 30 years ago. So this is starting over.



The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

STRANGE NUMBERS

Was listening to a recorded interview this afternoon with John B Wells and learned some really strange stuff.

I remember John Wells from Dallas.  I lived there in the 1980's and remember him on the really cool classic rock station.  His deep voice leaves an impression.  There was a talk show on Sunday mornings back in those days on that radio station, I think the host was Charlie something.  I use to get up, walk the dog, put 4 pennies in the Dallas Morning News paper machine and get the Sunday paper for 4 cents, then come home, make a protein shake, catch a buzz and listen to the talk show while I read the paper.

One Sunday, the topic was AIDS, remember this was about 1985 or 1986,  and the discussion was how the country was handling it.  I was the first caller and suggested we do national testing and quarantine anyone who tested positive.  Then I sat back for the next 1 3/4 hours and listened to the onslaught of callers calling me a nazi, fascist, hater, and every other adjective ever invented in the English language.

I actually talked to the host of that show a couple of years later, right before leaving Dallas, and mentioned that show and he told me that show produced more calls than any other show they ever did, people were still calling in that evening to complain, and it was legend at the radio station.

Pretty cool, huh.

What is interesting about Wells now is he'd been hosting Saturday evenings on Coast to Coast AM for the last couple of years.  I like that show; not every show, but a I genuinely like listening to most of them as long as they aren't going off the deep end on things.

When Art Bell was host, they did over 20 million listeners a night.  Now, they are lucky, during the week, to get a million listeners a night.  Wells show did about 5 million a night.

Now think about those numbers.  I like George Noory, he is a Jay Leno interviewer and will just nod and agree with whatever the guest says, but if the ratings have dropped from 20M to 1M a night, and you have a host on Saturday doing 5M a night, guess which one got fired?

How do you fire the one pulling in 5 million a night and keep the guy pulling in about a million a night?  It kind of makes me wonder about the show now, what they are trying to push.

But numbers for a lot of things are strange.  The number one network news show now has fewer viewers than the number three network news show did in 1990.  All three network evening news shows today combined have less than the number one show did in 1990.

Bill O'Reilly has the number one cable news show with 3M on a good night.  That is less than 1% of the population tune in to O'Reilly.  99% of the population don't watch.  The evening network news top broadcast has about 10M viewers nationwide, which would mean 97% are elsewhere, over 90% are doing something else besides the evening news shows, the cable news shows, etc.

A best selling book?  1/2 a million copies will keep you on the NY Times Best Seller list for months.

It use to be TV shows, take Cheers for instance, would struggle for a couple of years before it caught the wave and became a hit show - today Cheers would have been put to death before the first season was over.

Strange numbers.

And I remember what she said to me
How she swore that it never would end
I remember how she held me oh so tight
Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then

Against the wind
We were runnin against the wind
We were young and strong we were runnin against the wind