A MIND FOREVER VOYAGING THROUGH STRANGE SEAS OF THOUGHT, ALONE


This is my second blog.

My first blog chronicled my experiences over three years caring for my dad as he lived through and finally died from Alzheimer's. That is the book that is for sale.

This second blog kind of chronicles of life, what it is like to start your life over in your late 50's. After caretaking, you are damaged, file bankruptcy, and the world doesn't care what you did. After 8 months of unemployment, you wake each day knowing the world doesn't want you. Finally you do find a job, 5 weeks before homelessness, but doing what you did 30 years ago and getting paid what you did 30 years ago. So this is starting over.



The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Saturday, December 7, 2013

THE MAXIMUM WAGE

Still thinking about the number of people and jobs available in this country that pay less than 10 bucks an hour.  Saw an article, though I must confess I didn't double check and confirm the numbers, that showed a list of corporations and what they pay the people working in their stores, the corporate profits, and what the CEO makes.

And of course if you are a baseball fan, it's the Hot Stove League which is almost more exciting than the actual baseball season, especially if you are a fan of a Chicago baseball team.  The fantasy is always better than the reality, well, except in 2005.  But two teams and about 100 years, one year is about all you are going to get in a lifetime.

But with some new TV deal, teams got a lot more money to spend and so, even though history is full of how signing a ballplayer to a 10 year contract is really dumb, Seattle just signed a 31 year old to a 10 year contract at 24M a year.  Can't wait to see Cano try to turn that double play when he's 41 without throwing out a disc or something.  Hell, even the Angels are stuck with a contract for probably the best player since 2000, and now have to pay him 24M a year and his feet hurt and they have about 8 years of paying a shadow of his former self to go.

So we have a disappearing middle class, but few of them are moving on up, to the East Side, as they use to sing, and are dropping down into the lower class where we fight for 10 dollar an hour jobs and are happy to get them.  And I can't wait until the inflation numbers come out, somehow I bet those 100% increases in health care premiums won't be showing up in the equation.

Protestors and fast food workers on strike this past week for 15 dollars an hour minimum wage and frankly, I think they have a point.  It should be over 15 an hour if you figured out what minimum wage was back in the 1960's and then calculated it out using the old method of figuring inflation or just did a simple method of using housing, food, energy, and health care as the basis for inflation at the rate would be about 23 bucks an hour.

Not 8.

But the argument by ridicule, a logical fallacy by the way, is a Rush Limbaugh saying "why not raise it to 50 bucks an hour?" which is about as intelligent an argument as when a liberal after asking should people be allowed to own a handgun, then asks "what about a tank" and then turns the argument into whether we should have tanks or not.

Years ago, I read a couple of books by Max Dupree, I think that is his name, and when he was CEO of a office furniture company, they had this really cool rule: the top earner in the company could not earn more than 10X (I think it was 10x, it might have been as high as 20x) the lowest paid worker.  So if the lowest paid worker was making 6 bucks an hour, then the highest paid worker could make 60 bucks an hour.

Wow, what is it for the company where the full time store worker makes 15k a year and the CEO makes 5.5 million a year?  367X as much.

So, I have a solution to life's problems.  No publicly traded corporation can pay anyone in the company more than 25x what the lowest paid worker earns per hour.  See, you got to be careful here and not just say full time employee because then 90% of employees will be put on part time.  So take the lowest paid worker, full or part time, figure what they are paid by the hour, multiply it by 2080 hours in a year and then the highest paid people in the company cannot earn more than 25 times that number.

Pay your people 8 bucks an hour?  That's 16.5k a year.  So the CEO can only make 416,000 a year.  There will be another huge benefit to this method, think how much more profits there will be for stockholders!  But I will bet those boardroom executives will quickly figure out how to make sure they still get millions so you probably need to limit the stock being given to executives or make it like IRA's and if you give X to the executives then you have to give X to the employees too.

What will happen is the lower paid wages will start to rise drastically in the corporations, which will eventually cause smaller companies to pay more.  And prices will rise to meet these new wages.  But what you can eliminate is the huge growing discrepancy between the top 10% and the bottom 90%.

I am not speaking, well, writing, in jest.  Something has to change and if we leave it up to the corporate boardrooms and Washington, the solution is going to be a huge population reduction. Read Agenda 21, it's right in there, in black and white, that is what is planned.  Stop rolling your eyes and go read it.

The train is rolling and there are no brakes.  We need new ideas and new people in government.  We need to bring back a strong middle class.  And you can't do it when wages are crashing for 90% of the population while shooting upwards for the 10%.   And what you can't do is simply say you are going to tax the wealthy, because they never do, just hose a higher level of the middle class.

This wealth thing has bugged me since the 1992 presidential election.  Perot, who I voted for, bragged how he made $1 as president of Perot Systems and about 10M in tax free interest on his bond investments so he pays no income taxes.  This is what the wealthy do folks.  He makes a buck as president of Perot systems, but his mansions, boats, cars, planes, trips, etc are all paid for by the company.  That pretty actress or hunky actor making 10M a movie gets paid as a corporation that owns the home, the cars, and all the things the average joe buys after taxes, clothes, health club memberships, hair cuts, etc etc etc are a business expense for them.  Same with the jocks.

We are becoming slaves.  We read 1984.  We read Brave New World, This Hideous Strength, This Perfect Day.  We read Phillip K Dick, and Vonnegut.  We watched 2001and countless other movies that painted where we were headed and sat back an watched it unfold right in front of our eyes without so much as a whimper.

TR was right when he broke up the bankers, railroaders, etc.  He understood where it would lead, but after he was gone, they just started putting it all together again.  There were four second hand book stores in Fort Collins when the year began, when the new year rings in, there will be none.  Small businesses will just keep disappearing, being crushed under rules, regulations, and taxes.

Got young kids?  They will only be shopping at WalMart, Macy's, or other international stores, buying products made by slave labor in China, while they will probably end up working as service personnel for the top 10%.

Think about it.  A maximum wage.  If a minimum wage is good, why not a maximum wage?  Let me know what you think.

Sharing's good, sharing's fine
But no one wants to share this world of mine
Is dull, dark and grey
And no one wants to find the way
To my front door is always open to you

Hey now life, give me a break
For much more of this I cannot
Take me to a far off place
Where there's no rich or poor
And every house has got an ever open door

I want to find my direction
I want my love and affection
Yes I'm needing it more and more

I want to find my own answers
It's time I knew what my plans were
I'm going to find what I'm looking for

I'm gonna take all my chances
Gonna make my advances
Gonna see what my life has in store

I've got a feeling inside me
I'll put the past way behind me
Pick myself up from the floor