A MIND FOREVER VOYAGING THROUGH STRANGE SEAS OF THOUGHT, ALONE


This is my second blog.

My first blog chronicled my experiences over three years caring for my dad as he lived through and finally died from Alzheimer's. That is the book that is for sale.

This second blog kind of chronicles of life, what it is like to start your life over in your late 50's. After caretaking, you are damaged, file bankruptcy, and the world doesn't care what you did. After 8 months of unemployment, you wake each day knowing the world doesn't want you. Finally you do find a job, 5 weeks before homelessness, but doing what you did 30 years ago and getting paid what you did 30 years ago. So this is starting over.



The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Sunday, November 24, 2013

PERKY COURIC, ALEX JONES, AND DDT

I simply don't get it.

Katie Couric has done it again.  I love following her career.  She gets the gig on the Today Show for over 10 years after they shove Norville out the door because the viewers blamed her for the network shoving Pauley out the door,  then gets a big raise to go to CBS and anchor the Evening News.  After a few years of anchoring the Evening News and driving their ratings down about 50%, she gets even more money to jump to ABC and have a daytime talk show that apparently nobody watches.

Now this is where I get confused.  See, in my world, when you fail at a career, let's say sales, you don't get hired for another sales job at more money, only to fail, then get hired to be a salesperson at another company for even more money.  But not Katie, no sir, after trashing the CBS Evening News and crashing and burning at ABC daytime, she is going to get another 8 figure contract to have a show on Yahoo, which I thought was a search engine.

I would have thought by now a search engine would be required to find Katie Couric.

I don't get it.  The poor get poorer and the perky get richer.  I wonder if these people really do sell their souls…

Well, Alex Jones pulled off the publicity stunt of the decade over the weekend by organizing a march in Dallas to protest the JFK ceremony, or something.  I'm really not sure what he was trying to protest; who killed JFK, the fact the city blocked streets to have a ceremony and didn't invite Alex, or they refused to serve Tangy Tangerine or whatever he's hawking this month.

But hundreds, maybe thousands of Alex's loyal brainwashed listeners showed up to surround him, safety in numbers, and they marched to where they were told not to go and sure enough forced the sheriffs department to push them back and now he's screaming abuse, lawsuits, and all sorts of things.

Frankly, as a lad in Chicago in 1968, I remember seeing how Chicago Police handled protestors and thought the Dallas Country Sheriffs were very well behaved.  I found myself kind of wishing it was the Chicago Cops handling the situation: THAT would have made good TV.  Not Alex claiming a cop punched him in the tummy.

So much for Texans being tough.  "I'm going to sue, the cop punched me in the tummy!  I want my mommy!!!"

But that is not the point.  What I don't get are all the idiots that showed up in support of Alex, who brought their little kids, and put themselves and their kids in harms way to follow the modern version of a Gary Larson cartoon meets PT Barnum.

I like that Alex speaks out against things, covers stuff few others will touch, thought his radio coverage of the Fukushima disasters was the best out there, but there is something always bothering me about the guy.  He makes millions on those 9/11 DVD's.  It's a crock.  His MLM selling of vitamins.  I admit, I bought a can of Tangy Tangerine and it tasted like crap.  It's still sitting in the cabinet.  But when he starts getting listeners to show up to protest, what, JFK dying?  The coverup?  The private ceremony?  I am not sure what he was protesting!

It looked like a designed circus to see how powerful he could be.  Freaked me out a little.

Read a story this weekend about bugs.  Bugs bugs everywhere.  Bed bugs in hotels, homes, apartments.  All sorts of bugs we'd wiped out in America at one time are back and now we've got all sorts of new bugs coming into America from all these container ships.  They are wiping out our ecosystem, they have no predators, and they are spreading disease.

And not once did anyone in the article suggest a very simple solution.  Bring back, bring back, bring back back DDT (my apologies to Queen).  Yes, bring back DDT.  I know, some condor in CA will die and I say who cares.  I mean really, saving the condors has improved exactly what?  Would we really have missed the condor?  Yet millions around the world have died from malaria or other diseases so the condor could stay in CA.  DDT was safe, there is no proof, no real studies, that link it to cancer.  Hell the guy that created it ate a spoonful of it in front of cameras and didn't die, didn't get sick, lived a long and healthy life.

Bring DDT back.  Spray every damn container as it's being unloaded, spray the country, fog it up for a couple of years.  Kill the bed bugs and all the other weird little bugs.  We can accept some soft eagle eggs or  a dead condor here or there for a couple of years.  Then stop, except for the shipping containers, and don't use it for 8 or 10 years, then hit it again.

We still get our birds and get rid of the bugs.

Katie gets another 8 figure contract and I sold 1 book this month.  This sucks.  Why do I even bother writing anymore.  I should just give up.

Now if there's a smile on my face,
it's only there tryin' to fool the public,
but when it comes down to foolin' you;
Now honey, that's quite a different subject.


But don't let my glad expression
give you the wrong impression.
Really I'm sad. I'm sadder than sad.
You're gone and I'm hurtin' so bad.
Like a clown I pretend to be glad.

Now there's some sad things known to man,
but ain't too much sadder than
the tears of a clown when there's no one around.