A MIND FOREVER VOYAGING THROUGH STRANGE SEAS OF THOUGHT, ALONE


This is my second blog.

My first blog chronicled my experiences over three years caring for my dad as he lived through and finally died from Alzheimer's. That is the book that is for sale.

This second blog kind of chronicles of life, what it is like to start your life over in your late 50's. After caretaking, you are damaged, file bankruptcy, and the world doesn't care what you did. After 8 months of unemployment, you wake each day knowing the world doesn't want you. Finally you do find a job, 5 weeks before homelessness, but doing what you did 30 years ago and getting paid what you did 30 years ago. So this is starting over.



The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Monday, November 25, 2013

A BEAUTIFUL SURPRIZE

Yes, I spell surprize with a 'z', the way it is suppose to be spelled.

Bored this morning, I checked my Amazon ranking, ambiguous word, that rank, and was absolutely floored by the wonderful book review I received by someone in Cincy:


5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS BOOK; IT'S A MUST-READ!!! November 25, 2013

By CAC

Format:Paperback|Amazon Verified Purchase

About three weeks ago, I had never heard of the author, Dick Lane. But somehow, I managed to accidently stumble onto his blog. How, I don't know, because I certainly was not looking for anything related to Alzheimer. But I so enjoyed Mr. Lane's writing-style, that I bought his book "Folie a Deux: A Madness shared by Two".

In diary-entry form, it's his day-to-day story about caring for his aging parents (especially his father with Alzheimer.) What I love about Mr. Lane's style, is he writes as if he was talking to the reader around the kitchen table about the day's events. It's sad (and interesting) to learn about the transformation that happens physically and mentally to a person suffering from this awful disease. But then, in the middle of this sadness, OUT-OF-LEFT-FIELD, Mr. Lane will hit you with something so funny, you'll have tears rolling down your eyes as you're laughing out loud. (As one classic example, read his Mother's comments about his first attempt to make mashed potatoes.)

I think the tremendous humor Mr. Lane has laced through out the book is equivalent to Mel Brooks regarding his play, "The Producers". When Mr. Brooks was asked how he could find humor with Hitler and the Holocaust, Mr. Brooks said something to the effect that "if you can't find humor, it will kill you; humor is how you survive." Humor (and diary-writing) was how Mr. Lane was able to cope with this tragic situation.

Mr. Lane also muses daily about current events, linking them to the past and future; his commentary is fascinating with interesting ideas on a variety of topics. Aside from the topic of Alzheimer, he's intellectually deep, and this book makes the reader THINK.

So, whether you have a loved-one with Alzheimer, and you're looking for a book to prepare you for likely events, or just want a book that's a terrific read, THIS IS IT! Go buy this book NOW!!!


What a great way to start the day. I've been drifting on this blog of late, it's lost it's focus and reads now like so many other gazillioin blogs plus I will admit there is a thread of bitterness in my life of late due to my inability to land so much as a job interview. Debt is piling up and the bow is going to break very soon. I'm actually practicing Christmas songs on my flute, thinking, I might go out, put down a bucket, and play Christmas tunes for tips. Yes, I've sunk that far.

Of course, the way I play, I banking on people paying me more not to play, heck, I should sing and then I'd make thousands being paid to shut up!

So reading this review from a perfect stranger kind of made my day. I am glad he/she found the book thought provoking and that it made them laugh. What more can anyone writing ask for, to make the reader think and laugh.

I am currently reading two books, C.S. Lewis's God In The Dock and The Magicians Twin, which is a series of essays on Lewis and Scientism. I know, you are wondering how is this guy still single. What is fascinating is the misconstruction by so many evangelicals on Lewis and his opinions on evolution or design. He is taken seriously out of context by so many, but then, we all tend to see the facts we want to see to justify our already ingrained positions.

We see that in modern scientific inquiry, the data doesn't make the theory, the theory is formed then data is observed and what supports is kept and what contradicts is tossed out the door. Fact is, you see that in the pulpits also. Jimmy DeYoung does a great job tearing up The Book of Revelation in order to show a pre tribulation rapture, as if God needed Jimmy to come along and reorder the book for Him.

Making stuffing this week for Thanksgiving. My niece is having it at her place and it should be really strange, at least I hope so. I love my niece and she has some very Bohemian sort of ways about her so I'm expecting this to be a really cool day. I notice she didn't ask me to make the mash potatoes.

I'll post my stuffing recipe after I figure out how I'm going to make it this year. Key: sourdough bread from Panera. I might sneak some anchovy paste in this year for that taste no one can quite put their finger on…..

Everybody talks about some fateful day
I guess that this was mine
I may be here to tell some kind of story
But I think it's gonna take a little time, that's all right

See I'm rocking in a cradle
Down the hall somewhere and I am lost inside a dream
Maybe I am falling, maybe I am flying
But I know if I am crying she is holding me

And then the sky broke up
And then the rain came down
And it washed away everything on the ground
Wash it away, wash it away, wash it away


Marc Cohn