A MIND FOREVER VOYAGING THROUGH STRANGE SEAS OF THOUGHT, ALONE


This is my second blog.

My first blog chronicled my experiences over three years caring for my dad as he lived through and finally died from Alzheimer's. That is the book that is for sale.

This second blog kind of chronicles of life, what it is like to start your life over in your late 50's. After caretaking, you are damaged, file bankruptcy, and the world doesn't care what you did. After 8 months of unemployment, you wake each day knowing the world doesn't want you. Finally you do find a job, 5 weeks before homelessness, but doing what you did 30 years ago and getting paid what you did 30 years ago. So this is starting over.



The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

GRENDEL

Since my dad died, I have found myself escaping into the past of sorts, I am rereading books from the 1970's.  Recently, I picked up John Gardner's great work Grendel.

Grendel tells the story of the last dragon, Grendel, antagonist of the great old English book Beowulf, and what went on in the mind of the dragon, the final dragon on Earth.  I can relate to Grendel right now, I feel like the last dragon.

Job hunting is going nowhere, even worse than book sales, as if such a thing were possible.  I am totally frustrated with our world today, the hiring methods brought to us by university brainwashed human resource graduates.

I applied for a project manager job at a company.  I hit every requirement dead on or better.  I pointed this out in the cover letter, pointing to the requirements and how I compared; but I knew I would not get the job or an interview.  They asked what year I graduated from college; the corporate way of eliminating people based on their age without leaving a track record of age discrimination.  Sure enough, form email arrived Sunday night - yes, Sunday night, informing me while my qualifications were impressive they are pursuing other options.  Form letter from a computer algorithm informing me I'm a dinosaur.

The other day, I applied for a job as the IT Director for the school district.  They had me filling out, online, a series of questions; the first 50 or so had to do with how I would act as a principal at a school.  What does one have to do with the other?  Also applied at a local 'copy center' store for a manager position and did their online personality/honesty exam.  I'm not sure at what point the futility of the situation sunk in, but I completed the questions just because I don't like quitting but there is zero chance of me getting so much as an interview.

Why do I fail them?  Cause I can't bring myself to lie or cheat.  Here is an example of what I am talking about.  You get the question "I prefer working in groups rather than working alone".  Simple question?  Not to me.  What kind of work?  Am I doing statistical analysis?  Am I working on a DOE?  Now what the test will do is ask that question two or three times, and also ask the question differently "I like working alone" or "I like working in groups" and as a lateral thinker I will answer Yes to the first, Yes to the second, because I like both but the test will tell them I am lying or trying to beat the test or something and out spits a rejection.  If I wanted to play the test, I'd look at the job type, determine if it is a team related job, and answer in that mode.

But I don't.  Am I stubborn?  Stupid?  The last dragon?

I miss the days where you put on a suit, had 100 resumes printed, and you hit the streets knocking on doors, talking to the owners of businesses.  At big companies, you found the  reserved parking spots for the VIPs and parked your ass there in the morning or around lunch time and met them when they came out to their car.  Now, you fill out anonymous forms, take anonymous tests, and get anonymous rejections and how many really great employees are missed by companies Human Resources rejects them before the executives or managers never get a chance to see the resume.

I would bet my left nut that if the president of some of these companies took the online assessment exam, they would also fail their own company test.  So would the top sales people.

Speaking of corporate world today, there were about 125 companies that signed a letter to congress wanting them to pass immigration reform so as to allow more aliens into the country and legalize the ones here.  The funny part is most of these companies have laid off thousands to tens of thousands of americans over the past two years; fire the americans and hire formerly known as illegal aliens.

How do illegal aliens with no computer experience take the online assessment?  Or is the act of taking the exam eliminating you from a job?  If you can read this, we don't want you.

We are turning our country into a minimum wage metropolis.  No build, just sell and service.

However, all is not lost!  A new study just revealed that men with small testicles make better fathers than men with large testicles!  Golly!  Should I start walking up to wealthy divorced women with kids and say "Hey, I got small testicles, I'd make a great father!"

The sorry thing is in a country with so many unemployed, we are funding studies on the size of men's testicles and it's relation to fatherhood.  You seriously didn't think that corporate america would spend money on something like this did you?  Know, this is taxpayer funded all the way.  Some PhD student decided to spend his or her dissertation funding on measuring men's testicles and then giving them an assessment exam and looking for correlations with large and small testicles.

I wonder how much the pay is for measuring testicles?

Four in the morning
Crapped out
Yawning
Longing my life away
I'll never worry
Why should I?
It's all gonna fade

Now I sit by my window
And I watch the cars
I fear I'll do some damage
One fine day
But I would not be convicted
By a jury of my peers
Still crazy
Still crazy
Still crazy after all these years


Paul Simon