A MIND FOREVER VOYAGING THROUGH STRANGE SEAS OF THOUGHT, ALONE


This is my second blog.

My first blog chronicled my experiences over three years caring for my dad as he lived through and finally died from Alzheimer's. That is the book that is for sale.

This second blog kind of chronicles of life, what it is like to start your life over in your late 50's. After caretaking, you are damaged, file bankruptcy, and the world doesn't care what you did. After 8 months of unemployment, you wake each day knowing the world doesn't want you. Finally you do find a job, 5 weeks before homelessness, but doing what you did 30 years ago and getting paid what you did 30 years ago. So this is starting over.



The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Saturday, September 14, 2013

AFTER THE FLOOD - OOPS, SPOKE TOO SOON


Went to the store today to pick up milk and salad dressing and some of the shelves were bare.  Let this be a lesson to you all.  The flood caused a run on a major grocery chain and within 24 hours things were not being replaced because there was only one way into Fort Collins until about noon today when some of the bridges going north opened up.  Still can't go south.

My trunk had a go pack of clothes, two weeks of eFoods, stove, pan, fuel, a full tank, and another couple of things to take to the car if I had to evacuate; like the dog, dog food, and my Berkey.  Want to know something even funny, I have a book packed on how to use a slide ruler and two slider rulers in the box.  Figure an EMP happens and knowing how to use a slide ruler will be a marketable skill, after the kill off and all.

I did discover one thing I was short of; bottles for filtered water.  I only have the one.  Oops.  So later this week I'll buy four of five gallons of water and keep the bottles for future need.

Eastern Colorado is flooding last night and today as the water moves downriver.  Note to any of my imaginary readers in Kansas, it's headed your way, what are you doing right now to prepare?  And it may rain some more here today and tonight.

Fort Collins is pretty much okay, overall.  Kudos to the city for shutting off the water from the river and only going via the reservoir last Tuesday, since the Mulberry Treatment Plant was partially underwater it looked like.  So our water is good.

Loveland didn't fare nearly as well, it's at the bottom of the Big Thompson Canyon and despite the efforts to redirect water through underground pipes to other reservoirs, Loveland was underwater in many places.  Boulder, Longmont, and Golden were also seriously soaked and damaged.

Estes, well, there is no way to get there now from the east, except by plane.  The western route is a narrow road that goes over the divide and is closed once the snow starts to fall and the storm tonite is predicted to be snow about 10,000 feet so things are looking bleak for the town with the hotel made famous in The Shining.

Strange how life is.  The state has been in a drought for so long and it is simply not designed for this much rain.  The system is designed to bring in water/snow runoff from the west side of the divide to provide water to the eastern part of the state but was built with too small a system of pipes and tunnels to handle what happened this week.  So while they tried to off load the water through the system, it was woefully inadequate to handle the amount of water and the water coming down the canyons, beautiful flowing rivers you drive alongside, turns into a roaring tsunami wave like in the scene from LOTR and takes out the road and any homes along side of the road, with boulders dropping down the sides of the mountains like raindrops, then being picked up in the torrent and sent downstream, smashing into homes or cars.

Then the plains flood from all the water.  Three years of drought and now the farms are flooded. Sometimes in life you just can't win for losing.

But once again we see the importance of preparing for something bad to happen.  And you have to have plans; plans when you stay in place with no power or access, plans when you have to evacuate.  Are you ready?  I had a box, empty, that I could have thrown in within three or four minutes all the Bibles, books, DVD's, and my folks ashes.
A knapsack with my passport, checkbook, backups of my hard drives, gun and ammo.  Dog and food in first, back for the box and knapsack, and I'm on the road and in the worst case the tank would be half full, I never let it drop below half.  Would I get everything?  No, I realized I hadn't remembered my mom's handmade quilts, for example.

Holly Deyo wrote a great book, Dare to Prepare, that is considered the de facto book on preparedness.  Do you have a copy?

And all that was for a flood, what if it had been an earthquake?  I wasn't ready for that event, but I will be now.  Two weeks of food, stove, pan, portable water filters, empty jug, and clothes will remain in my car along with a Bible; just in case.

EDITED 9/15 AT NOON

Well, seems I spoke to soon, referring to it as after the flood.  It's been raining from around 8pm last night to about 2am; then started again around 8 this morning and we've had over an inch of rain this morning alone.  So all that water going down here, well, it's back up, which means roads are getting closed off again, and tomorrow Greeley and eastward will be getting even more water.  No rescues scheduled for today, the Broncos are playing this afternoon.


Long as I remember,
The rain been comin' down.
Clouds of myst'ry pourin'
Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages
Tryin' to find the sun.
And I wonder,
Still I wonder
Who'll stop the rain.

Heard the singers playin',
How we cheered for more?
The crowd had rushed together
Tryin' to keep warm.
Still the rain kept pourin',
Fallin' on my ears.
And I wonder,
Still I wonder
Who'll stop the rain.
Creedence Clearwater Revival

No comments:

Post a Comment