A MIND FOREVER VOYAGING THROUGH STRANGE SEAS OF THOUGHT, ALONE


This is my second blog.

My first blog chronicled my experiences over three years caring for my dad as he lived through and finally died from Alzheimer's. That is the book that is for sale.

This second blog kind of chronicles of life, what it is like to start your life over in your late 50's. After caretaking, you are damaged, file bankruptcy, and the world doesn't care what you did. After 8 months of unemployment, you wake each day knowing the world doesn't want you. Finally you do find a job, 5 weeks before homelessness, but doing what you did 30 years ago and getting paid what you did 30 years ago. So this is starting over.



The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

I'M GETTING TO OLD TO TRY TO BE YOUNG

Oh, man, am I sore.

Last week I joined a Kettlebell fitness club that work out MTWTh.  I only did M&W last week.  This week I did T&W.  Bad idea.  I was so sore from Tuesday I had no business trying to workout again tonight.

More Motrin please, thank you very much.

Thirty years ago when I worked out and really hit it hard enough to make me sore, I was sore within 12 hours and it was gone within 24.  When I worked out last night I was still sore from last week.  What the hell am I thinking.  I'm 55 years old and I am in a workout class with mostly 20 somethings, a few 30 somethings and maybe one or two in their early 40's.  But I am smart about it; I take breaks, I decide when I need to rest a set or quit.  I guess pulling crap out of your dad's ass pretty much eliminates any reminisces of  ego.  Plus, I do intend a year from now to be able to haul, swing, press, and squat bigger bells than anyone else in the class and teach these youngsters that geezers still run the world.

Now if I could just get them to play something besides that mind numbing ear splitting crap they call music, rap music.  I even hinted I could bring in some great tunes to workout to that the musicians actually know more than two or three notes.  Heck, some actually can change octaves during the song!  They didn't seem interested.

On the other hand, boy some of those babes are seriously hot.  Too bad I'm old enough to be their dad.  Sigh.

Speaking of poor, I'm having trouble working up any sympathy for A-Rod but it's a good lesson for everyone:  get the money up front.  I always wondered how the Yankees were going to try to get out of that monster contract that was going to being paying him 25m until he was 45 years old and I guess MLB is jumping into help.

A-Rod admitted to doing roids about 10 years ago, but he has never flunked any tests, never been caught.  Many other players have and a 50 game suspension is standard practice.  But apparently A-Rod is going to get a lifetime ban, or at least enough time to allow the Yankees to void his contract.  MLB is claiming he didn't cooperate and may have actually tried to hamper the investigation. Gee, no shit?  Somebody guilty of breaking rules lied and tried to cover it up?  I'm shocked!  Can we get this rule for elected officials and government employees?  Heck, DC and every state capital would be ghost towns.

So they are going to ban A-Rod forever so the Yankees can free up 25 million in payroll for next year and buy some more free agents so they can win the World Series again and again because MLB knows that when the Yankees are in the WS, TV viewership is high and everyone makes lots and lots of money.

Like I said, hard to work up sympathy for A-Rod since his yearly dry cleaning expenditures are more than most people will make in a lifetime but I do hate seeing anyone getting hosed by the corporate masters.  I know guys like A-Rod, Armstrong, Sosa or McGuire roided up and 'ruined' the game but lets face it, they put a whole bunch of million dollar bills in the pockets of the owners, their cities, their sponsors, and anyone else a hand in the game and then got dropped like leppers but the big boys kept their millions, who cares about the athletes.

I remember back in late 80's when roiding raged in football, bodybuilding, and was beginning in baseball.  I've worked out at many a gym where guys and gals were roiding up.  I knew one chick at The Gym in Dallas that had a voice as deep as Barry White.  Or a guy who came into the gym about 150lbs and six months later was well over 200lbs, no fat, and zits all over the back.  I would never touch the stuff and was talking to someone over a business lunch one day and the guy said, "you know, if they came out with a drug tomorrow that would guarantee the performance increase in sales that steroids delivers in athletes, not only would every sales person in the country be taking the drug, but every sales manager in the world would be pouring it into the water cooler and coffee maker every morning."  I thought about that and realized it is true. 

Lots of talk about tranhumanism and the ability to manipulate the human body to stop the aging process and I wonder how many people would gobble up such an opportunity?  Let us put these little nano devices in you to manipulate your DNA and you will be a 40 year old for the next 300 years, turn back the clock and repair your 65 year old body and be 30 again!  Would people jump at such a chance?


Rev. 9.6 In those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will desire to die, and death will flee from them. 

Hmmm.  Might want to put some thought into this before you make the choice, no?

Well we all have a face
That we hide away forever
And we take them out and
Show ourselves
When everyone has gone
Some are satin some are steel
Some are silk and some are leather
They're the faces of the stranger
But we love to try them on


Billy Joel